Monday, October 13, 2008

Roses are red

On the 11th of September, John woke up with a smile on his face. He had been waiting for this day since long. "Today is special",
he thought as he entered the flower shoppe.

"Today is her birthday, Mr Paul. Make me a nice bouquet of 20 red roses.", said John.

"That will be 50$ lad. Isn't that a tad expensive for a high school student." Paul replied, all the while fiddling his well-practised fingers delicately on the flowers. His hands were magic and every touch seemed to inspire the flowers to wake up from their slumber and get ready to fill somebody's life with pure bliss and happiness.

"It is Uncle Paul, but believe me, she's worth it." replied John.

John carefully handled his bouquet like a small child in his arms. He felt, he could make out a few jealous female glances, staring at the beautiful roses, wondering why nobody ever gifted them any.

"Ding-Dong"

"Happy Birthday Tina. I got you these flowers."

"Oh-Wow, they are so pretty. I just can't wait to show them to all my friends.", she said and gave John the tightest hug he had ever received.

"Careful. I'm not a stuffed toy. Run along then, come visit me once you're done.Mom wants to wish you."

"I will. I love you"

Tina ran along, happily enchanted by the spell of the roses. She was walking happily till she came across old Mrs. Buffet.

"How are you my child?", asked Mrs. Buffet

"I am fine Mrs B. But you look down. Is everything okay?" asked Tina

" I don't know dear, lately I'm not feeling too chirpy."

"Oh my, take one of my roses. I have plenty. They will make you feel much better." she said

"Thanks a lot dear, I feel better already. Run along now. A birthday is no day to spend with us old people." she smiled

"Goodbye Mrs.B , take care of yourself."

Tina continued to walk towards her friends house. "Alms for a poor man, my fair lady" she heard a beggar cry out.

"I don't have any money with me. Please take this rose instead", she said and handed him a rose.

"Bless you, my sweet child."he said and pressed the rose to his chest.


I keep meeting people today, Tina thought aloud.

"Excuse me,madam"

"yes?"

"Today is my wedding day and i forgot to buy a corsage for my bride.", said a man dressed in white.

"Oh.. Here, take this rose instead."

"Thank you my dear, you just saved me a lot of embarrassment."

.
.
.
"I tore my new jeans skate-boarding"
.
.
"I didn't do well in my interview today."
.
.
.

Until finally, " Oh-no, I just have one rose left, John is going to get so upset."

Trembling, she entered John's apartment and knocked at the door.

"I'm sorry John, I know you spent a lot of money on these roses, but I just kept meeting people who needed them more than me and I just couldnt...."

"Stop it Tina, that's the reason I gave them to you in the first place..

Because you are special...."

1 comment:

Amit said...

nice and sweet, thought stirring tale...